If you develop, design, or maintain a website then you’ve probably heard of the GDPR privacy requirements that affect websites globally as of May 25, 2018. In this episode of Divi Chat, we’re discussing GDPR compliance, what it means for us and our businesses, and hopefully help you get a better understanding of what it is and how to implement GDPR best practices into your Divi website.
In this episode we also discuss a few things that are confusing when it comes to GDPR. For example, it doesn’t matter if you are in Europe or not. If you have visitors from Europe, then you must make sure your website is compatible.
Additionally, there’s a lot of confusion around eCommerce vs simple static websites and whether or not these rules apply if you’re not selling products. We also discuss this during the episode. The compliance isn’t just for websites that sell products though. Even if you have a simple contact form on your website (as most websites do), then you are responsible for adhering to the policies of GDPR.
However, eCommerce websites are even more at risk than simple websites with a contact form. For example, Tim sells Divi plugins and Divi Modules and therefore collects customer’s information at checkout. Because of this, additional steps must be taken by Tim in order to stay compliant. Through the research of setting this up for Divi Life, Tim created a handy tutorial for Divi users on how to make your Divi website compliant with GDPR. We definitely recommend taking a look at this after watching the episode 🙂
** Note that we are not lawyers and are not giving legal advice, we’re all in the same boat navigating these new waters together and are learning about this ourselves 😉
- David Blackmon – Aspen Grove Studios / FB / @aspengrovellc
- Cory Jenkins – Aspen Grove Studios / FB / @aspengrovellc
- Tim Strifler – Divi Life / Divi Mega Menu / Divi Hacks
- Terry Hale – Mizagorn Ink / FB / @mizagorn
- Jerry Simmons – Fervent Solutions / FB
At the time of posting the new GDPR compliance requirements are not yet in effect, so there is still much confusion and vagueness on proper handling for website managers outside the EU. Resources listed are for research purposes only, and are in no particular order.
- Divi GDPR Guide – How to Make Your Divi Website GDPR Compliant by Divi Life
- EU Law Website
- GDPR — a business blessing in disguise?
- What is GDPR, and what does it mean for the live chat market?
- Email Marketing Armageddon: The General Data Protection Regulation
- FB Business: What is the General Data Protection Regulation?
- Discussion amongst some of the top WP plugin developers about GDPR (GitHub)
- An Introduction to GDPR Compliance for WooCommerce Stores
- Quora: What is the GDPR?
- GDPR: What You (And Your Store) Need to Know About This New Data Protection Law
- GDPR Compliance for Ecommerce Shops: What Shop Owners Can Do
- What does the GDPR mean for e‑commerce businesses?
- Worried about WordPress and GDPR? Start Here
- The Complete WordPress GDPR Guide: What Does the New Data Regulation Mean for Your Website, Business and Data?
- Is Your Website GDPR Compliant? How to Get Ready for the General Data Protection Regulations
- WP GDPR Plugin
- WP GDPR Compliance Plugin
- Wordpress.org chat / Slack: wordpress.slack.com / channel: #gdpr-compliance